Skip to main content
U.S. flag

An official website of the United States government

Customer Assistance: 1-800-613-6743

Get Answers to Your Banking Questions

I received notice from my bank that it will no longer authorize automated teller machine (ATM) transactions when my balance is not sufficient to cover the transaction, unless I agree to a fee. If I don’t agree, can the bank decline my ATM transaction?

Yes. The bank may refuse to permit overdrafts at an ATM unless you opt-in to the overdraft service.

The bank must provide accounts with the same terms, conditions and features to consumers who affirmatively consent or opt in to the overdraft protection feature and to consumers who do not opt in, with the exception of the bank's overdraft service for ATM and one-time debit card transactions.

If the bank pays other types of overdraft transactions, such as the payment of a check that overdraws your account, the bank cannot refuse to pay such transactions because you withheld your consent or agreement to a fee for the payment of ATM and one-time debit card transactions.

Last Reviewed: April 2021

Please note: The terms "bank" and "banks" used in these answers generally refer to national banks, federal savings associations, and federal branches or agencies of foreign banking organizations that are regulated by the Office of the Comptroller of the Currency (OCC). Find out if the OCC regulates your bank. Information provided on should not be construed as legal advice or a legal opinion of the OCC.

Still need help?

Contact Us